This is a speedy weeknight pork belly recipe with sweet and sticky sesame soy sauce. We cook it under the oven grill for crispy pork belly in half an hour.
Pork belly is delicious, but a lot of recipes call for it to be cooked low and slow in the oven. This recipe asks you to do the opposite, please. We’ll slice our pork belly into 1.5 cm slices, which will allow the meat to cook more quickly, then cook in high heat under the grill, which will render the fat and make the skin all lovely and crispy - à la crackling (but not quite).
We then drizzle it in a delicious sweet soy sesame sauce and serve it with roast red cabbage, crunchy cucumber and avocado for an easy and very, very tasty, weeknight dinner.
You’ll love this pork belly recipe because
- It’s very quick and easy to get on the table
- The pork is crispy, rich and delicious
- The sauce is the right balance of sweet, salty and sour.
Top tip for this Pork Belly Recipe
While I’m sure this will come as no surprise, pork belly has a high fat content. When we cook it at a high temperature the fat renders and liquifies, so there will be a lot of pork fat in the baking tray you cook it in. Because we are cooking at such high temperatures, this will also be very hot, so just be careful when you take it out of the oven. Have somewhere to put it, and try to avoid having any obstacles in your way or small children who may bump you or the tray.
- Alternative proteins - You can swap pork for chicken breast, but cook it for less time. It should only take 20 minutes at 200 C.
- Vegetarian - Swap pork belly for eggplant. Slice into 2 cm thick slices and soak in salted water for 15 minutes before cooking. Watch it carefully under the grill.
- Dairy Free - This recipe is dairy free.
- Gluten Free - Swap dark and light soy for tamari with 1 teaspoon brown sugar.
- Serve kids rice with cucumber and avocado.
- Slice their pork belly into small slices and remove any tough bits from the skin that are too chewy for them.
You will need an oven grill (broiler), 2 baking trays, foil.
More Sticky Asian Sauce Recipes
30-minute Sesame Soy Pork Belly Recipe
- Oven grill (broiler)
- 2 Baking trays
- 500 g pork belly rashers
- ¼ red cabbage
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil 2.5 tablespoon total for the recipe
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil 2.5 tablespoon total for the recipe
- 2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 avocado
- 1 cucumber
- 450 g microwave rice
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 220 C (425 F). Line two baking trays, one with foil.
- Slice pork belly into 1.5 cm slices. Set slices on their side on the tray with foil and in the oven for 12 minutes.500 g pork belly
- Cut cabbage into wedges. Lay on a baking tray, drizzle with sesame oil, then sprinkle over garlic powder, salt and pepper, and place in the oven for 25 mins.¼ red cabbage, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- Mince garlic into a bowl. Mix in brown sugar, soy sauces, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar.2 cloves garlic, 2 teaspoon brown sugar, 2 tablespoon light soy sauce, 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce, 2 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- At the 12 minute mark, turn the pork rashers. Place back in the oven for 12 mins.
- Slice avocado into wedges. Slice cucumber into half moons. Heat microwave rice.1 avocado, 1 cucumber, 450 g microwave rice
- Remove pork from the oven and turn on the grill (broiler). Arrange pork like dominos, so the fatty top skin is exposed. Drizzle over a quarter of the sauce, then grill (broil) for 5 mins, flipping at 2. Watch to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- When the pork is ready, carefully remove. For kids, slice off any bits that are too crispy / crunchy and serve with avocado, cucumber and rice.Serve adults pork on rice with cabbage, avocado and cucumber, with sauce and sesame seeds.1 avocado, 1 cucumber, 2 teaspoon sesame seeds