Banh Xeo is a crispy golden coconut pancake stuffed with fresh herbs, juicy shredded chicken, grated carrot and topped with more lime, coriander and bathed in a zingy lime dressing.
What's special about this Banh Xeo Recipe?
This version is anything but traditional. It is still packed with all the fresh flavours you expect, but just a little easier to prepare. In this version I added an egg to the pancake mixture so it is easier to flip, and added plain flour as it easier to access than the traditional rice flour, although you can use rice flour if you prefer.
Use shredded roast chicken from the deli section of the supermarket or your local chicken shop. If you can't access it, you can always poach your own chicken breast and use that instead (but personally I love that I don't have to cook any meat in this dish).
Top tip when making Banh Xeo
To make your pancake nice and crispy, and ensure that it cooks well enough to flip, make sure your frying pan is nice and hot before you pour in the batter.
- Alternative proteins - Swap roast chicken for smoked salmon.
- Vegetarian - Use crumbed tofu or fried mushrooms instead of chicken, and vegetarian fish sauce.
- Dairy Free - This recipe is dairy free.
- Gluten Free - Use rice flour in place of plain flour (this is how they are traditionally made).
- Skip the chilli and herbs.
- Slice pancake into fingers.
You will need a non-stick frying pan, a stovetop.
More Asian Recipes
- Non-stick frying pan
- ⅔ cup plain flour
- ⅔ cup coconut cream
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup water ½ cup total for the recipe
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ bunch green onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 long red chilli opt.
- 2 carrot
- ½ bunch coriander
- ½ bunch mint
- 2 lime
- 2 tablespoon water ½ cup total for the recipe
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup sub. brown sugar
- 400 g shredded roast chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- In a bowl whisk together flour, coconut cream, egg, water, turmeric, and salt to make a batter.⅔ cup plain flour, ⅔ cup coconut cream, 1 egg, ⅓ cup water, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Finely slice green onion. Mince garlic. Deseed and finely slice chilli (opt.). Grate carrot. Roughly chop coriander leaves and finely chop stalks. Pick mint leaves. Juice half the quantity of lime and slice the rest into quarters.½ bunch green onion, 1 clove garlic, 1 long red chilli, 2 carrot, ½ bunch coriander, ½ bunch mint, 2 lime
- Mix together 2 tablespoons lime juice, water, fish sauce, vinegar, maple syrup, minced garlic and half the chilli.2 tablespoon water, 2 tablespoon fish sauce, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 clove garlic
- Place shredded roast chicken breast in a bowl, ready to use.400 g shredded roast chicken breast
- Place a non-stick medium frying pan on high. Add oil and 1 tablespoon green onion and 1 teaspoon chilli. Pour batter over to form a thin layer and tilt pan so it reaches the sides.When making for kids, skip the onion and chilli.1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Once pancake batter looks almost cooked, add 100 grams of chicken, ½ carrot and 1 tablespoon coriander stalks on one side.
- Fold pancake over the filling then remove to a plate. Repeat until you’ve cooked one each. Serve with mint leaves, coriander, chilli, dressing and lime.For kids, slice pancake into fingers and skip the chilli and herbs.½ bunch mint, ½ bunch coriander