Chicken and Corn Soup with Egg drop is substantial, warming and full of flavour. This is a simple version of the Asian classic, with creamy corn, poached chicken, bacon bits, green onions and chives, and drizzled with sesame oil.
Warm up your soul with this delicious Chicken and Corn Egg Drop Soup. As you fry the bacon, the fragrant aroma will fill your kitchen and you will want to dive into this comforting soup. The crispy bacon adds a delightful crunch to each spoonful, while the creamed corn and corn kernels give a hint of sweetness. The tender chicken is cooked to perfection and the egg ribbons create a beautiful texture. Don't forget to sprinkle some sesame seeds and drizzle a few drops of sesame oil for an extra pop of flavour. This soup is perfect for any occasion and can be easily adapted for any dietary needs.
What you will need to make Chicken and Corn Soup
- Streaky bacon - don't skip the fatty bacon. You'll start the soup by cooking the bacon with sesame oil and retaining the oil as the base to our soup, and then using the crispy bacon to finish it. We're using a light hand in quantity of bacon so don't feel too guilty!
- Chicken tenderloins - You will submerge these in the soup to poach the chicken, which you can then easily shred with two forks and serve on top of the soup.
- Eggs - this soup really is packed with protein (a whopping 45 g per serve), and this in part is due to the eggs, which we'll pour in a thin stream into the soup in the final stages to add texture and flavour.
- Cornflour - we'll create a cornflour slurry which will thicken the soup. You only need a little cornflour and it will have a wonderful effect. Just add equal parts (1 tbsp) cornflour and water and stir. TIP - make sure you give the cornflour mixture a quick stir before you add it to the soup as it will have separated.
- Green onions (scallions) - start by trimming and slicing half a bunch of fresh green onions, separating the whites and greens. You'll use the whites in the base of the soup and the greens on top to finish. Slice the greens finely on an angle for an aesthetically pleasing finish.
- Garlic - warming and savoury.
- Chives - these will top the soup as well, and are optional.
- Corn - you'll use both canned creamed corn and corn kernels for this soup. Creamed corn gives a thick, creamy texture.
- Soy sauce - for saltiness.
- Shaoxing wine - creates a richness to the soup.
- Sesame oil - warming and earthy, you'll fry the bacon in this and it will pack a major flavour punch. You can also drizzle over sesame oil at the end for a glossy finish.
- Sesame seeds - these are almost purely decorative so you can feel free to skip them if you don't have them. If you do go for it, try and find a mixture of black and white seeds.
How to prepare Chicken and Corn Soup with Egg drop?
This Chicken and Corn Soup recipe is a flavourful and comforting bowl of goodness.
Start by trimming and slicing half a bunch of fresh green onions, separating the whites and greens.
Slice 100g of streaky bacon and chop ⅓ bunch of chives.
Mince 4 cloves of garlic and heat up 1.5 tablespoon of fragrant sesame oil in a pot. Add the bacon and cook until crispy, then remove with a slotted spoon.
Add the white chopped green onion and garlic to the pot and cook until fragrant.
Next, add 800g of creamed corn, 2 cups of frozen corn kernels, 4 cups of chicken stock, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, and 2 teaspoon of Shaoxing wine.
Add 400g of chicken tenderloins and simmer for 12 minutes. Make a cornflour slurry by mixing 1 tablespoon of cornflour with 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl.
Crack 2 eggs into a jug and whisk. Use tongs to remove a piece of chicken from the soup to check if it's cooked, then remove all and shred using two forks.
Mix the cornflour slurry and add it to the soup, then stir through.
Pour in a thin stream of whisked egg to form egg ribbons. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the soup topped with shredded chicken, crispy bacon, green onion, chives, black and white sesame seeds, and a few drops of sesame oil. This Chicken and Corn Soup is a delicious and hearty meal perfect for a cold day.
Top tip for Chicken and Corn Soup
While the egg drop component is of course, optional, it is truly what takes this soup from good, to great. To add your egg, gently whisk it in a jug with a pouring spout, then add it while swirling your soup. The flow of your pour will impact the size of the egg in your soup. If you like thin ribbons add it slowly, but if you like bigger egg "flowers" add it more quickly.
Substitutions for Chicken and Corn Soup
- Alternative proteins - Option to swap bacon for guanciale or pork sausage.
- Vegetarian - Skip the bacon and chicken, and use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- Dairy Free - This creamy recipe is dairy free.
- Gluten Free - Swap light soy sauce for tamari.
Kid-Friendly Variations of Chicken and Corn Soup
- Skip the chives, green onions, sesame seeds and bacon for smaller children.
You will need a pot or casserole dish, a stovetop.
More Soup and Stew Recipes
Chicken and Corn Egg Drop Soup
- Pot or casserole dish
- ½ bunch green onion
- 100 g streaky bacon
- ⅓ bunch chives
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tablespoon sesame oil 2 tablespoon total for the recipe
- 800 g creamed corn can
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon Shaoxing wine Chinese cooking wine
- 400 g chicken tenderloins
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds black and white
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil 2 tablespoon total for the recipe
- Trim green onions, then slice into two parts, the whites and the greens. Slice the green finely on an angle. Slice the white lengthwise into quarters, then dice. Slice bacon and chives, and mince garlic.½ bunch green onion, 100 g streaky bacon, ⅓ bunch chives, 4 cloves garlic
- Heat sesame oil in your pot or casserole dish, then add sliced bacon and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon or tongs, reserving the oil and bacon fat.1.5 tablespoon sesame oil, 100 g streaky bacon
- Add white chopped green onion and garlic to the pot, and cook for a minute until fragrant.½ bunch green onion, 4 cloves garlic
- Add creamed corn, corn kernels, chicken stock, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine and stir. Add chicken to the pot, submerge and simmer on medium heat, covered, for 12 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom.800 g creamed corn, 2 cups frozen corn kernels, 4 cups chicken stock, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 teaspoon Shaoxing wine, 400 g chicken tenderloins
- Make a cornflour slurry by mixing equal parts cornflour and water in a small bowl.1 tablespoon cornflour, 1 tablespoon water
- Crack egg into a jug (or vessel with a pouring spout) and whisk.2 egg
- Use tongs to remove a piece of chicken from the soup, check if cooked, then remove all and shred using two forks. Keep soup simmering over low heat.
- Mix cornflour slurry then add to the soup, and stir through. Stir soup in a circular motion. Pour in a thin stream of egg to form egg ribbons. Season to taste.2 egg, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- Serve kids soup topped with shredded chicken.For adults, top with bacon, green onion, chives, sesame seeds and a few drops of sesame oil.⅓ bunch chives, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, ½ bunch green onion