This Chicken Tortilla Soup is a guaranteed family favourite, and it’s really easy to put together in just half an hour.
Chicken tortilla soup is one of those dinner recipes that everyone is going to want to dig into. There’s so much to love about it - the Mexican soupy base, shredded chicken, deliciously gooey melted cheese, corn (of course), avocado, sour cream and scoopy tortillas - it’s all there.
It’s almost a bit like nachos in soup form, although a lot healthier. We’ve got poached chicken, carrots, black beans, tomatoes, avocado and corn, it’s all really good for, and really delicious.
What is Chicken Tortilla Soup made of?
- Our soup base is made of - red onion, garlic, carrot, olive oil, paprika, oregano, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, chicken stock, crushed tomatoes and black beans.
- Chicken - I use chicken tenderloins as they are small and quick to poach, so you can easily shred them.
- Toppings - Shredded chicken, corn, grated cheese, tortillas, avocado, lime, coriander and sour cream, as well as tortillas.
What is the difference between taco soup and tortilla soup?
Chicken tortilla soup is more of a soup - the base is tomatoes, beans and stock, but taco soup is thicker, like a stew, and usually includes mince too.
Top tip for Chicken Tortilla Soup
Make sure your chicken is fully submerged in your soup as you simmer - we need this to be cooked through so you can shred it.
- Alternative proteins - Instead of chicken you could use fish and flake it over the dish, or you could use beef mince, but you would have to cook it in a separate pan.
- Vegetarian - To make this vegetarian skip the chicken and add more black beans.
- Dairy Free - Swap sour cream for dairy free sour cream (or skip), and use dairy free shredded parmesan.
- Gluten Free - Use corn tortillas.
- This recipe is really kid friendly. To make it even more so you can serve them tortillas, avocado, corn, chicken and soup separately, and skip the coriander.
Equipment for Chicken Tortilla Soup
You will need a deep frying pan or casserole dish, a stovetop, a baking tray, an oven.
More Mexican Recipes
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Deep frying pan or casserole dish
- Baking tray
- 1 red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chicken stock 1.5 L
- 800 g canned crushed tomatoes
- 400 g canned black beans
- 500 g chicken tenderloins
- 4 tortillas
- 2 corn cob
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- ½ bunch coriander
- 200 g tasty cheese
- 200 ml sour cream
- Peel and finely dice onion, garlic and carrot.1 red onion, 4 cloves garlic, 2 carrots
- Heat oil in a deep pan on medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until translucent. Add spices and salt and mix through.1 red onion, 4 cloves garlic, 2 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoon smoked paprika, 2 teaspoon oregano, 2 teaspoon ground cumin, 2 teaspoon garlic powder, 2 teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon salt
- Add chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, carrots and drained black beans. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.2 carrots, 6 cups chicken stock, 800 g canned crushed tomatoes, 400 g canned black beans
- Add chicken to the pan and submerge fully. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring every so often.500 g chicken tenderloins
- Slice tortillas into eighths, then in half. Lay on a baking tray and spray with oil. Place under the grill for just a minute or two each side until toasted. They’ll cook quickly.4 tortillas
- Slice corn from cob. Cube avocado. Cut lime into quarters. Roughly chop coriander. Grate cheese.2 corn cob, 1 avocado, 1 lime, ½ bunch coriander, 200 g tasty cheese
- Remove chicken to a chopping board. Turn the heat off under the soup. Shred chicken with 2 forks.TIP: It’s okay if some of the soup comes with the chicken.
- Serve kids shredded chicken, avocado pieces, tortillas and some soup and corn.Serve adults soup topped with shredded chicken, corn, cheese, avocado, tortillas, coriander, lime quarters and dollops of sour cream.2 corn cob, 1 avocado, ½ bunch coriander, 200 g tasty cheese, 200 ml sour cream, 1 lime