This Lemongrass Chicken is deliciously tangy and citrusy and goes perfectly with rice noodles and veggies for a light and healthy dinner.
What does lemongrass marinade taste like?
Lemongrass has a citrusy, grassy flavour, that when paired with salty fish sauce creates a spectacular marinade for chicken. We add plenty of garlic, lime juice, rice wine vinegar and a hint of soy sauce for a deliciously tangy sauce. We’re also adding cornflour which will thicken the sauce as we cook it.
What is lemongrass chicken made of?
- Lemongrass chicken - lemongrass, minced garlic, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and cornflour.
- Noodles - vermicelli rice noodles work best here.
- Vegetables - cucumber, capsicum, matchstick or julienne carrots.
- Aromatics - coriander and lime wedges.
How to prepare lemongrass for cooking
Lemongrass is easy to prepare once you know how
- Slice 2-3 cm from the base of your lemongrass stalk.
- Remove tough outer layers. You should be able to press your fingernail into the soft inner bits.
- Finely slice the soft inner parts of the lemongrass.
How many calories are in a lemongrass chicken vermicelli bowl?
This Lemongrass chicken dinner is really low in calories - only 544 cals per serve.
Is Lemongrass Chicken gluten free?
This lemongrass chicken recipe is gluten free if you swap soy sauce for tamari.
Stir your lemongrass sauce before adding it into the pan so that the cornflour is mixed through the sauce. Otherwise it will sit at the bottom of your bowl and your sauce won’t thicken over the heat.
- Alternative proteins - Swap chicken for beef, pork fillet or fish.
- Vegetarian - Swap chicken for fried tofu or firm tofu, or future chicken.
- Dairy Free - This recipe is dairy free.
- Gluten Free - Swap soy sauce for tamari.
- Serve rice noodles, vegetables and chicken separately.
- Option to serve your child chicken before you add the sauce.
- Skip lime wedges and coriander.
You will need a saucepan, a stovetop, a frying pan.
More Lemongrass Recipes
- Frying pan
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 lime
- 1 red capsicum red pepper
- 1 cucumber
- 2 carrot
- 200 g vermicelli rice noodles
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 500 g chicken thigh fillets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ bunch coriander
- Put a medium saucepan of water on to boil.
- Peel lemongrass and finely chop soft inside. Mince garlic. Juice half the lime and cut the remaining half into wedges. Slice capsicum. Slice cucumber into half moons. Matchstick or julienne carrot.1 lemongrass stalk, 4 cloves garlic, 2 lime, 1 red capsicum, 1 cucumber, 2 carrot
- Add noodles to the boiling water, take off the heat and sit covered for 4 mins, then drain.200 g vermicelli rice noodles
- Make a sauce by mixing lemongrass, garlic, 2 tablespoons lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and cornflour.1 lemongrass stalk, 4 cloves garlic, ¼ cup fish sauce, 2 teaspoon soy sauce, 2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon cornflour
- Dice chicken.500 g chicken thigh fillets
- Heat a large pan on high heat. Add vegetable oil, and cook chicken in a single layer, leaving on one side for 2 mins to sear, then turn and stir fry until cooked through. Option to plate your child’s chicken now.1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 500 g chicken thigh fillets
- Add sauce and cook for 2-3 mins or until sauce starts to thicken.
- Serve noodles, top with veggies and chicken with lemongrass sauce and lime wedges. Pick coriander leaves and scatter over to serve.Serve little kids noodles, chicken and veggies separately. Skip the coriander.1 red capsicum, 1 cucumber, 2 carrot, 200 g vermicelli rice noodles, ½ bunch coriander