This rich and warming Thai green curry is a fragrant and delicious, easy curry that blends herbs and spices with creamy coconut milk - you’ll love it.
I’d bet that Thai green chicken curry is one of the most commonly ordered dishes at any Thai restaurant, and for good reason. It’s delicately fragrant, rich and warming, and the rich coconut milk is so satisfying. The good news? It’s also very easy to make. Let’s make it for dinner.
What ingredients do you need for Thai Green Curry?
- Thai green curry paste - I love this version from Maesri, but you can use any version you can find. Make sure it has lemongrass and kaffir lime - that’s what gives it the citrusy flavour that goes so well with chicken.
- Sauce - Curry paste, coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice
- Chicken - You can use either chicken breast or thigh fillets.
- Vegetables - Sweet potato, onion, red capsicum (peppers), broccoli and lime
- Serve on rice, topped with Thai basil and chilli if you like it.
What is in green curry paste?
Fresh Chilli, Garlic, Fingerroot, Shallot, Lemongrass, Salt, Sweet Basil, Kaffir Lime, Sugar, Spices, Galangal.
What goes with Thai Green Curry?
Serve it with rice, topped with Thai basil leaves and thinly sliced red chilli.
How to make Thai Green Curry
- Prep your vegetables: Peel and cook sweet potato in the microwave, and prepare your ginger, garlic, onion and capsicum. Cut broccoli into florets AND slice the base (don’t throw it away).
- Prep your chicken: Cut into 2 cm cubes.
- Sauté aromatics: Fry ginger and onion.
- Add chicken and paste: until chicken is golden.
- Simmer: Add coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, sugar and lime juice, and drained sweet potato. Simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Add crisp vegetables: Add capsicum and broccoli - tip don’t over cook these, they only need 3 minutes max.
- Serve: on rice with Thai basil and chilli.
It is tempting to think that curries need a long time to simmer away, but this Thai Green Chicken Curry is an example of a recipe that really doesn’t need that much time. In fact, if you cook the vegetables for too long they will become mush, or the chicken for too long it will become tough, so stick to the times recommended in the recipe.
- Alternative proteins - Swap chicken for tofu or seafood.
- Vegetarian - Swap chicken for tofu.
- Dairy Free - This recipe is dairy free.
- Gluten Free - This recipe is gluten free.
- Thai Green Curry can be spicy, so if your child can’t tolerate spice I recommend cooking their portion of chicken in a separate frying pan, and serving them plain sweet potato, capsicum, chicken and rice, with a dollop of Greek or coconut yoghurt if they want.
You will need a microwave, a lidded deep frying pan, a stovetop.
More Thai Recipes
Thai Green Chicken Curry
- Lidded deep frying pan
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tablespoon ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 brown onion
- 1 capsicum
- 1 broccoli
- 2 lime
- 500 g chicken breast
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ bunch Thai basil
- 1 red chilli opt.
- 450 g microwave rice
- 60 g coconut yoghurt opt. (sub Greek yoghurt)
- Peel and cube sweet potato into 1-2cm pieces, cover with water and place in a bowl and in the microwave for 7 minutes. Continue to next step >1 sweet potato
- Peel and finely grate ginger. Mince garlic. Peel and slice onion. Slice capsicum. Cut broccoli into florets, and slice the base. Juice half the lime, and cut the rest into quarters.Add your child’s portion of capsicum to their plate now.2 tablespoon ginger, 2 cloves garlic, 1 brown onion, 1 capsicum, 1 broccoli, 2 lime
- Cut chicken into 2 cm cubes. Set aside.500 g chicken breast
- Place a deep lidded frying pan or pot on high heat. Add oil and sauté ginger and onion until soft.2 tablespoon ginger, 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 brown onion
- Add chicken, garlic and green curry paste and cook, stirring, until chicken is golden. Option to use half as much curry paste for kids, OR cook their portion of chicken in a separate frying pan with oil.2 cloves garlic, 500 g chicken breast, 2 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
- Drain sweet potato, and add your child’s portion to the pan with the chicken.In the larger pan, reduce heat to medium, add coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons lime juice and remaining sweet potato. Simmer for 4 minutes.400 ml coconut milk, 2 cups chicken stock, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 sweet potato
- Pick leaves from Thai Basil and thinly slice chilli if using. Remove the seeds (unless you want it hot hot hot).½ bunch Thai basil, 1 red chilli
- Add capsicum and broccoli to the frying pan and cook for 3 minutes with the lid on (this will steam the veggies). Meanwhile, microwave rice.1 capsicum, 1 broccoli, 450 g microwave rice
- Serve kids plain chicken, sweet potato, capsicum and rice. Add soy sauce or coconut yoghurt or Greek yoghurt to your child’s plate if they want.Serve adults curry over rice, topped with Thai basil, chilli and lime wedges.½ bunch Thai basil, 60 g coconut yoghurt, 1 red chilli