This Tomato Summer Pasta is simple, fresh, easy and oh so delicious with golden bursts of sweet summer mango, a whole bunch of basil and in-season tomatoes.
This easy tomato summer pasta makes the most of in-season mangoes, tomatoes and basil. The warmth of the freshly cooked pasta is the only heat we’ll apply to these ingredients, just enough to release their flavours but not too much so they cook or lose their form, so you get a wonderfully fresh summer tomato pasta with pops of sweet mango, perfect for a summer night.
We’ll serve this pasta topped with salty feta and with crusty garlic baguette for a light and lovely vegetarian summer pasta.
Ingredients for this Tomato Summer Pasta
- Pasta - You can use any pasta, but I prefer thin spaghetti or angel hair spaghetti to go with this lovely delicate sauce.
- Sauce - Fresh chopped tomatoes, basil, mango, shallot and garlic with olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Serve with garlic bread - Heat olive oil and whisk through minced garlic, salt and pepper, and then slather on crusty baguette.
Don’t worry if some pasta water gets into the bowl when you are adding the spaghetti - this starchy water will thicken the sauce and make it glossy.
- Alternative proteins - You could add grilled chicken to this dinner if you wanted it to not be vegetarian.
- Vegetarian - This recipe is vegetarian.
- Dairy Free - Either skip the feta or swap for dairy free feta or dairy free parmesan.
- Gluten Free - Use gluten free spaghetti. Use gluten free bread rolls.
- Serve kids plain chopped mango, tomato and pasta, with garlic bread if they want it.
- Skip the dressing.
You will need a large pot, a stovetop, an oven, a saucepan, foil.
More Pasta Recipes
For more pasta dinners, try
Tomato Summer Pasta
- Large pot
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 baguette
- 350 g spaghetti
- 400 g mixed baby tomatoes
- 1 mango
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 shallot
- 2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes opt.
- 100 g feta cheese
- Black pepper
- Place a large pot of water with 1 tablespoon salt on to boil and preheat your oven to 180 C.Salt
- Peel and finely grate (mince) garlic into a large serving bowl. Heat olive oil in a small saucepan until hot, then pour over grated garlic and mix with a pinch of salt and pepper.2 cloves garlic, ½ cup olive oil, Salt, Black pepper
- Slice your baguette in half. Spread half the garlic mixture on the inside of the baguette. Close the baguette, wrap in foil and place in the oven for 15 minutes.1 baguette
- Add spaghetti to the boiling water and cook for 9-11 minutes (according to packet directions).350 g spaghetti
- Slice tomatoes into quarters. Peel and dice mango. Slice basil leaves. Peel and finely dice shallot. Add tomatoes and mango to your child’s plate now.400 g mixed baby tomatoes, 1 mango, 1 bunch basil, 1 shallot
- Squeeze juice from lemon and add to the bowl with the remaining olive oil and garlic mix. Add red wine vinegar, diced shallot, chilli flakes (opt.), and ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.1 shallot, 2 lemon, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon chilli flakes, Salt, Black pepper
- Once pasta has cooked, use tongs to lift a portion of it and place on your child’s plate. Use tongs to move the remainder directly into the large serving bowl, and then toss mango, tomato and basil through.400 g mixed baby tomatoes, 1 mango, 1 bunch basil
- Serve your child plain pasta with mango and tomatoes on the side, and some baguette. For adults, top pasta with cheese and serve with warm garlic baguette.100 g feta cheese