If everything old is new again, then this easy Apricot Chicken recipe is your new need-it-in flash, dinner answer. While it takes a few cues from the Apricot Chicken of the 70s, we're modernising it by skipping the dry onion soup mix (no thanks), and using a simple mixture of apricot jam, soy sauce and chicken stock, to make a delicious chicken sauce.
With tender apricot chicken thighs coated in a luscious apricot glaze, this easy recipe is a must-try for those busy weeknights when you want a satisfying meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
Ingredients you need for this Apricot Chicken Recipe
You will only need simple ingredients for this delicious meal that's perfect for busy nights.
- 600 g Chicken thigh fillets - boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 bunch Broccolini (tenderstem broccoli)
- ½ cup Apricot jam (jar of apricot preserves)
- 1 cup Frozen baby peas
- 450 g Rice (microwave)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon Light soy sauce
- ½ bunch Coriander (cilantro)
- ½ cup Chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
See full details in the recipe card.
Substitutions and Add ins
- Use soy sauce instead of tamari to make it gluten-free.
- Make brown rice for an extra healthy version. Brown rice is available as instant rice or you can cook it in a rice cooker.
- Add fresh ginger to the apricot glaze if you'd like to give it some more flavour.
- You can swap broccolini and peas for other greens, like green beans or Brussel sprouts, or serve with a simple green salad and salad dressing.
- You can also swap chicken thigh fillets for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or for skin-on chicken thighs if you prefer, just make sure you sear the skin so it is nice and crispy.
How to make this Apricot Chicken Recipe
This is one of those weeknight dinners I keep coming back to on busy nights when I have very little time. It's a complete meal and is such a delicious dinner. To make this easy recipe the whole family loves, just follow a few simple steps.
- Whisk the Apricot Glaze: In a bowl, combine the sauce ingredients, which are ½ cup of apricot jam, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, and 30 ml of light soy sauce. Whisk the mixture until well blended, breaking up any lumps. Add ½ cup of chicken broth and continue to whisk until smooth. This glaze is the secret to the dish's incredible flavor.
- Prepare the Chicken: Take 600 g of chicken thigh fillets and drizzle them with 15 ml of olive oil. Set them aside to marinate for a moment.
- Get the Broccolini Ready: While the chicken is marinating, slice 1 bunch of broccolini in half, lengthways. This will make for perfect bite-sized pieces.
- Cook the Chicken: Heat a non-stick, lidded frying pan or large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the marinated chicken and cook for about 8 minutes, turning every few minutes, placing the lid on while it is cooking. This will ensure that you get juicy chicken thighs and that the chicken is cooked through and has a beautiful golden brown color.
- Quickly Cook the Greens: As the chicken cooks, bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook the sliced broccolini and 1 cup of frozen baby peas in boiling water for just a minute. Drain them to retain their vibrant color and crispness.
- Microwave the Rice: While everything is cooking, microwave 450 g of rice according to the package instructions. Fluffy rice will serve as the perfect base for your apricot chicken.
- Add the Apricot mixture: Pour the prepared apricot sauce over the cooked chicken in the pan. Let it cook for about 4 minutes until the sauce becomes bubbly, thick, and delightfully sticky, coating the chicken with flavor.
- Slice and Coat the Chicken: Remove the chicken from the pan, slice it, and then return the chicken pieces to the pan with the sticky sauce on low heat. Make sure each piece gets coated.
- Serve with Greens and Rice: To plate up, arrange your apricot-glazed chicken on a bed of microwave rice. Add the cooked broccolini and peas for that extra touch of green. Finish it off by topping the dish with freshly chopped coriander.
For a variation on this chicken dish, you can also make this in a slow cooker or instant pot. The sauce will not be as golden, but it will be sticky, sweet and tender. Alternatively, you can bake it in a baking dish in the oven if you prefer, just bake for a longer cooking time.
Top tip for this Apricot Chicken Recipe
Tender Cooking: When cooking the chicken, use medium-high heat and turn it every few minutes. This ensures even cooking and a delicious golden-brown sear, and tender chicken thighs.
- Kids may prefer less Dijon mustard, and to skip the coriander.
- Serve kids slices of chicken with rice and greens.
Equipment you need to make this Apricot Chicken Recipe
You will need a pot, a stovetop, a non-stick lidded frying pan, a microwave.
You can store this in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the fridge, and just reheat in the microwave at dinner time or for lunch the next day.
More Chicken Recipes
- Non-stick lidded frying pan
- ½ cup apricot jam
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 600 g chicken thigh fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch broccolini tenderstem
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- ½ bunch coriander cilantro
- 450 g microwave rice
- Combine apricot jam, soy sauce, Dijon mustard and whisk to mix well, breaking up any lumps. Add chicken stock and whisk in. Remove chicken from the fridge and drizzle over oil, and set aside.½ cup apricot jam, 2 tablespoon light soy sauce, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, ½ cup chicken stock, 600 g chicken thigh fillets, 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place a pot of water on to boil, and slice broccolini in half, lengthways. Measure out frozen peas. Roughly chop coriander (not pictured).1 bunch broccolini, 1 cup frozen baby peas, ½ bunch coriander
- Heat a non-stick lidded frying pan on medium-high. Cook chicken for 8 mins, lid on, (turning every few minutes) until cooked through and golden brown.600 g chicken thigh fillets
- Cook broccoli and peas in the boiling water for just a minute, then drain. Microwave rice.1 bunch broccolini, 1 cup frozen baby peas, 450 g microwave rice
- Add apricot sauce to chicken and cook for 4 mins, or until bubbly, thick and sticky, coating chicken. Remove chicken, slice, then return to the sticky sauce to coat.
- Serve apricot chicken on rice with greens, topped with coriander. Kids may prefer rice, chicken and greens served separately.½ bunch coriander