This bean burger is full of fibre and healthy vegetables, with a hint of Mexican influence. Roast green capsicum is sliced finely and serve as a relish on bean burgers loaded with salsa, mayo, greens and melted cheese.
These bean burgers are deliciously easy. To create our patties we'll combine soft sweet potato with canned four bean mix, parsley, carrot, onion and paprika, cumin and garlic powder.
Fry them on either side, then place in the oven for 10 minutes.
To create our green pepper salsa just grill green capsicum under a hot grill until the skin blackens, then set aside to cool. Remove the skin and seeds, dice, then season with salt and pepper. The flavour of the capsicum will intensify by roasting and the salt will bring out the flavour.
Toast cheese on a bun and serve your burger loaded with mayonnaise, salsa, greens and the patty.
Substitutions for Bean Burgers
- Gluten free - Use gluten free bread rolls.
- Kids may prefer to skip the capsicum and have their burger chopped into quarters or deconstructed.
More Mexican inspired Recipes
You will need an oven grill, a baking tray, a microwave, a stick blender or potato masher, a frying pan, a stovetop.
- Oven grill
- Baking tray
- Stick blender or potato masher
- Frying pan
- 1 green capsicum
- 1 sweet potato small-medium
- ½ bunch parsley
- ½ brown onion
- 1 lemon
- 1 carrot small
- 250 g four bean mix 2 x 125 g can
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 crusty bread rolls
- 100 g tasty cheese
- ¼ cup salsa
- 4 slices pickle
- 4 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Heat oven grill and then place capsicum on a tray underneath. Grill, turning every 3 minutes until the skin has blackened, then remove it to cool. Change the oven setting to 180 C fan-forced once you’ve removed the capsicum.Meanwhile, continue to the next step.1 green capsicum
- Peel sweet potato and chop into 2cm pieces, then place in a microwave proof bowl, cover with water and cook for 5 minutes on high. Continue to the next step.1 sweet potato
- Finely chop parsley. Peel and chop onion. Cut lemon in half. Finely grate carrot.½ bunch parsley, ½ brown onion, 1 lemon, 1 carrot
- In a bowl add drained mixed beans beans, drained sweet potato, parsley, onion, carrot, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, olive oil, egg, a squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper (opt.). Mash all together using a stick blender or potato masher, leaving some chunkiness in the texture.½ bunch parsley, ½ brown onion, 250 g four bean mix, 1 teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 2 teaspoon olive oil, 1 egg, 1 pinch salt and pepper, 1 carrot
- Heat a pan on medium-high heat and add vegetable oil. Form patties with your hand and place on the pan to cook for 3 minutes each side, then transfer to a tray and place in the oven for 10 minutes.1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Peel the skin off the grilled capsicum, remove seeds and then slice flesh into strips. Season with salt and pepper (opt.).1 pinch salt and pepper
- Slice rolls in half, slice cheese and lay over the top half of each roll. Add to the oven tray to melt.4 crusty bread rolls, 100 g tasty cheese
- Time to build our burger! Spread mayo on the base roll, then add a patty, salsa, pickle slices, a squeeze of lemon, green capsicum strips and top with the cheesy bun.Little ones may prefer to skip the salsa and the pickles. You may also like to chop their burger into quarters or halves, or even serve it up deconstructed.This burger is packed with 6 types of veg! Enjoy.¼ cup salsa, 4 slices pickle, 4 tablespoon mayonnaise