Cotoletta is a Milanese classic, tender beef coated in breadcrumbs and fried, served with mash potato, green beans, lemon butter and sage.
Cotoletta is comfort food. Known to some as the Italian Schnitzel, this dish from Milan hits all the high notes. Crispy fried sage, creamy mash and golden pan fried beef. As the nights are getting colder, this is the perfect dinner for a cosy night in.
Cotoletta is typically made with veal, but today we are making it with beef sizzle steaks, mainly because they are a lot cheaper than veal. Now because beef is less tender than veal, we want to cook our Cotoletta very, very quickly. I'm talking a maximum of 30 seconds each side, to ensure this beef is beautifully tender.
Is Cotoletta the same as schnitzel?
No, Cotoletta is not the same as schnitzel. The hint is in the name, because Cotoletta means cutlet and is typically cooked using veal cutlet (bone in) and is thicker than schnitzel. Today we are making it with beef sizzle steaks because they're more affordable.
What is Cotoletta made of?
In this version, we’re making it with
- Beef sizzle steaks
- Crumb of panko breadcrumbs, lemon zest, mixed herbs, garlic powder and salt. Egg and flour to crumb it.
- Fry in olive oil.
- Serve with potato mash, green beans, fried sage and lemon.
Top tips for Cotoletta
Firstly - do not be tempted to overcook your beef. You really only need 30 seconds each side, or it will be tough.
When crumbing your Cotoletta, try to keep one hand clean. This helps so much when it's time to wash up, because you can actually turn on the tap without getting more eggy crumbs all over everything.
- Alternative proteins - Swap beef for veal schnitzel or veal cutlets.
- Vegetarian - Use plant based schnitzel.
- Dairy Free - Swap milk for almond milk. Swap butter for nuttelex or dairy free butter. Skip Greek yoghurt.
- Gluten Free - Swap panko crumbs for almond meal. Use gluten free flour.
- Serve potato mash, beef sliced into fingers and beans.
- Skip sage and lemon butter.
You will need a sieve, a lidded pot (large enough to fit your sieve), a stovetop, a frying pan, a microwave.
More Italian Recipes
- Lidded pot (large enough to fit your sieve)
- Frying pan
- 600 g potato white
- 200 g green beans
- 1 lemon
- ½ bunch sage
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 2 egg
- 6 tablespoon plain flour
- 400 g beef sizzle steaks or veal
- 200 ml olive oil
- 90 ml milk
- 60 g Greek yoghurt
- 1 pinch salt
- 20 g butter salted
- Peel and cube potatoes. Add to a pot and cover with 3 cm water. Boil for 10 minutes, or until soft.600 g potato
- Trim green beans. Add to a sieve, and when the potato is almost ready, add covered sieve to the pot and steam for 1-2 mins until bright green. Remove sieve from pot, and drain potatoes.200 g green beans
- Zest lemon. Slice cheeks from lemon and discard core. Pick sage leaves.1 lemon, ½ bunch sage
- Mix breadcrumbs, garlic powder, mixed herbs, ⅓ of the lemon zest and salt and pepper in a bowl. Add egg to a separate plate and whisk. Add flour to a separate plate.1 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon mixed herbs, 1 pinch salt and pepper, 6 tablespoon plain flour, 2 egg
- Dredge beef sizzle steaks in flour, then coat with egg and then panko crumbs.TIP 1: Keep one hand clean in this process - helps when you want to wash at the end.TIP 2: You can use Veal schnitzel instead of beef.400 g beef sizzle steaks, 2 egg
- Heat olive oil in a small frying pan - make sure you have enough oil to coat the base of the pan. Fry sage for 10-15 seconds until crispy, then remove and set aside.200 ml olive oil, ½ bunch sage
- Cook Cotoletta for 30 seconds each side, then place on a plate and cover to keep warm.TIP: If oil smokes, turn heat down.
- Add ⅓ lemon zest, milk, Greek yoghurt and salt to potatoes and mash. Meanwhile, mix butter and remaining ⅓ lemon zest and microwave until melted.Option to skip lemon zest for little ones.90 ml milk, 60 g Greek yoghurt, 1 pinch salt, 20 g butter
- Serve kids mash, sliced Cotoletta and beans.Serve adults mash, topped with 1-2 Cotoletta (depending on size), green beans, crispy sage, lemon wedge and a drizzle of lemon butter.1 lemon