These easy chicken fajitas are perfect for feeding a crowd, because everyone will love them, they're perfect to share and you can make a lot or a little, easily. Oh, and did I mention they are super tasty?
It's always a bit nerve-wracking having friends with kids over for dinner, because if they're anything like my own child, their appetite is as reliable as the Melbourne weather. And the last thing I want is for my friends to have to go home and make toast!
The good news, is that that won't happen with this dinner. There are bits that every kid (and kid at heart) will like.
Let's break it down.
What do you put in these Easy Chicken Fajitas?
Chicken breast or thigh fillet - is tender, juicy and perfectly spiced - we use garlic powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, lime juice and honey for a slightly sweet marinade. The lime juice also tenderises the chicken.
The vegetables are full of flavour - capsicum, corn and onion, cooked in the same pan as the chicken to take on the flavours.
The toppings are simple - avocado, tomatoes and cheese.
The tortillas - white carbs - are always a hit. You just know that kids will eat these, if nothing else. I like to use mini tacos because they're easy to share and you can get a lot with them.
How to make the marinade for Easy Chicken Fajitas
This chicken fajita marinade is made by combining juicing lime into a bowl and mixing in oil, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, honey, salt and pepper. The lime juice will tenderise the chicken and the honey will help it caramelise when you fry it in the pan.
The other thing to remember when cooking the chicken is to let it rest while we prepare all the vegetables. The reason we do this is to firstly allow the marinade to absorb into the chicken breast, but also to bring it to room temperature, which encourages more even cooking.
How do you cut chicken breast into Fajita meat?
To make sure the chicken cooks through without burning, slice your chicken breasts in half horizontally. You may see some recipe which suggest pounding the chicken breast with a mallet, but I find this breaks down the fibres of the chicken. I prefer the texture of sliced chicken.
Fry it in the pan for just a few minutes each side, then set it aside to rest, making sure you cover it to keep it warm. When it is almost time to serve, slice chicken on a board and then add to a serving dish. Look how delicious it is!
Another tip here is to make sure you cut your chicken after cooking it - that way you won't risk drying it out, and you'll get the variation in texture from slightly charred outer bits.
How to serve these Easy Chicken Fajitas?
To reduce the number of different serving trays, I've found adding the tomatoes, avocado, lime and cheese to the one board is a fun way to serve them.
If you squeeze lime juice over the avocado it won't go brown, and a good sprinkle of flakey salt goes a long way on both the avocado and tomatoes.
Top tip when making Easy Chicken Fajitas
Cook the chicken first, then once cooked, remove from the pan, deglaze to incorporate the chicken flavours, then cook the vegetables. This allows the chicken to rest while you're cooking the vegetables (sealing in the moisture) and also gives the vegetables the flavour of the chicken and the marinade.
- To make this recipe gluten free, use corn tortillas instead of wheat based tortillas.
- To make this recipe dairy free, use dairy free shredded parmesan instead of dairy cheese.
You can go crazy with all sorts of additional toppings, but here are a few I like
- Coriander leaves
- Greek yoghurt
- You can mash the avocado into a guacamole
- You can add chilli powder or cayenne powder to the chicken marinade to bring the heat 🔥
- To make this recipe kid-friendly, keep all the elements separate when serving. You can also skip the salt on the tomatoes and avocado in step 2.
You will need a non-stick pan, a stovetop, a microwave.
More Mexican inspired Recipes
- Non-stick pan
- 1 lime 2 pcs total for the recipe
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 500 g chicken breast
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 avocado
- 1 lime 2 pcs total for the recipe
- 100 g tasty cheese cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 clove garlic
- 1 brown onion
- 2 capsicum
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen
- 10 mini soft tacos
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Juice lime into a bowl and mix in oil, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, honey, salt and pepper. Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally to make thin fillets (so they cook evenly), then add to the bowl and set aside.1 lime, 2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 2 teaspoon cumin, 2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 2 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, 500 g chicken breast
- Slice tomatoes into quarters. Slice avocado into thin wedges. Slice lime into quarters. Grate cheese. Arrange all on a plate or platter, squeeze lime over avocado and season vegetables with salt. Set aside.200 g cherry tomatoes, 2 avocado, 1 lime, 100 g tasty cheese, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Mince garlic. Peel and slice onion into wedges. Slice capsicum thinly into strips. Measure out corn.4 clove garlic, 1 brown onion, 2 capsicum, 1 cup corn kernels
- Place a non-stick pan on high. Cook chicken without turning for 3-4 mins, turn, add remaining marinade and cook for 3-4 mins, until chicken is cooked through. Set aside and cover to keep warm. Meanwhile, heat mini tacos in the microwave.10 mini soft tacos
- Deglaze the pan by adding vinegar and loosening tasty bits from the base, then add onion, corn and capsicum and cook, stirring regularly, until caramelised. Once soft, add garlic and cook for a minute more. Add salt.4 clove garlic, 1 brown onion, 2 capsicum, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, ¼ teaspoon salt, 1 cup corn kernels
- Slice chicken into strips.
- Serve chicken and cooked vegetables with tortillas, avocado, tomatoes and lime.