Fish en Papillote is a wonderfully easy and healthy way to cook fish, and you’ll love this version with lemon, herbs and a Mediterranean salad.
What is in this recipe for Fish en Papillote?
- Fish: We’re using firm white fish - I used cod, but you can use John Dory, halibut, or any other white fish you like. Alternatively you could use salmon.
- Fish seasoning: Our seasoning is a simple Mediterranean seasoning of lemon juice, olive oil, dried oregano and garlic.
- Salad: Our salad is capsicum, cucumber, parsley, microwave rice and feta, dressed with more lemon juice, olive oil and oregano.
What is the en papillote method of cooking fish?
En Papillote means in paper, and refers to a method of cooking where you cook your food by wrapping it in baking paper (parchment paper) to form an envelope, and putting it in the oven. As it cooks, liquid that would otherwise escape as steam, is captured in the envelope and cooks the food, so it cooks more quickly and is kept moist from the steam.
What are the benefits of cooking en papillote?
This is a great way to cook fish (or other lean protein), because you don’t need to use a lot of oil, and once you get the hang of folding the paper, it’s easy and there’s very little mess. The food is kept moist and tender from the steam.
What type of food can I cook en papillote?
We’re using fish in this recipe, and any firm white fish like cod, John Dory, halibut will work. Alternatively, you could use salmon. Otherwise, you can cook any lean protein en papillote - chicken breast or chicken tenders.
What to serve with fish en papillote?
In this recipe for Fish en Papillote we’re cooking the fish in parcels filled with lemon slices, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and serving it with a Mediterranean salad of cucumber, capsicum, Greek feta and brown rice or quinoa.
When folding your paper, tuck the folds under the fish, so they are weighed down by the fish when cooking. This will help keep them secure.
- Alternative proteins - You can use chicken instead of fish in this recipe.
- Vegetarian - Instead of Fish in the parcel, you could use silken tofu.
- Dairy Free - Skip the Greek Feta and add salty olives.
- Gluten Free - This recipe is gluten free.
- Serve kids plain brown rice, cucumber and capsicum, without dressing.
- Option to skip the lemon slices and oregano on the fish.
- Serve fish flaked alongside the veggies and brown rice.
You will need a baking tray, baking paper (parchment paper), an oven, a microwave.
More Fish Recipes
If you like fish, you should try
- Salmon en Papillote
- Ginger Soy Baked Fish with Coconut Rice
- Easy Salmon Tray Bake Recipe
- Teriyaki Salmon with Soba Noodles and Greens
- Panzanella Salad with Panko Baked Fish
Fish en Papillote with Lemon and Mediterranean Salad
- Baking tray
- Baking paper (parchment paper)
- 4 pc fish fillets firm white fish (150 g per piece)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 lemon
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- ½ bunch parsley
- 400 g microwave brown rice
- 200 g feta
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200 C. Get out a baking tray. Tear a square of baking (parchment) paper for each serve. Take fish from the fridge.4 pc fish fillets
- Finely crush garlic. Thinly slice lemon so you have about 3 slices per person, then juice the rest.2 cloves garlic, 2 lemon
- Make a dressing with olive oil, lemon juice, dried oregano and salt and pepper (opt.), then split into two bowls, and add the garlic to one.3 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoon dried oregano, Salt and pepper, 2 cloves garlic
- Place a piece of fish on each piece of baking paper. Divide garlic dressing between each pocket, or for kids, add just a squeeze of lemon juice and some olive oil on theirs if preferred.Top adults with lemon slices.4 pc fish fillets
- Fold paper over the fish to seal and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Dice red capsicum and cucumber and place in a bowl. Roughly chop parsley and place half in the bowl.For kids, add capsicum and cucumber to their plates now.1 red capsicum, 1 Lebanese cucumber, ½ bunch parsley
- Heat rice in the microwave according to packet instructions.For kids, serve rice by itself.For adults, add rice and remaining dressing to the bowl of vegetables. Top with crumbled feta, remaining parsley, and an extra drizzle of olive oil if you like.400 g microwave brown rice, 200 g feta
- To serve kids, remove fish from the parcel and flake it onto their plate with brown rice and vegetables.For adults, remove fish from the parcel and serve it upon a bed of salad. Season if you held off earlier.