These Greek Lamb Meatballs are juicy, tender and cheesy. We’ll bake them in a hot oven and serve with sweet potato wedges and feta sauce for an easy dinner.
These Greek Lamb Meatballs may or not be Greek, but they ARE certainly inspired by Greek flavours. If you’re looking for some cheesy and delicious meatballs, we're going to use both parmesan and feta cheese in this meatball mix to create really deliciously cheesy meatballs. The parmesan cheese gives it that crispy cheesy element, while the feta is creamy and salty. We’ll also sprinkle with paprika, oregano and a tiny bit of cinnamon to make these melt-in-your mouth meatballs really pop.
We’re going to mix up some Greek yoghurt, feta, dill, mint and lemon juice to make a beautiful feta sauce, and bake up some sweet potato wedges to go with our flatbread and fresh and crunchy cucumber and radishes. This is a really easy meal and if you follow the steps in the right order, it shouldn’t take you more than half an hour to get it on the table. Enjoy!
Greek Lamb Meatballs Ingredients
- Lamb Mince - I love lamb because it goes so well with oregano, but you can use chicken, pork or beef mince instead.
- Feta - We're using Feta in our lamb meatballs to give a lovely creamy and salty taste. If you can get it, Greek feta is more crumbly and holds its form better than Danish feta, so that's what I prefer in this dish.
- Smoked paprika - Smoked paprika gives you that lovely smokey flavour, but if you just have normal paprika this will also be delicious.
Because of the cheese in these meatballs it’s definitely better to bake these than to grill or bbq them. The cheese will melt and you want to capture that flavour.
- Alternative proteins - Swap lamb mince for beef or chicken mince.
- Vegetarian - Use vegan mince like Quorn, or you can mash up butter beans, just make sure to add some extra seasoning.
- Gluten Free - Swap panko breadcrumbs for almond meal, and use gluten free flatbread or pita pockets.
- Dairy Free - Skip the cheese in the meatballs completely, with the option to chop up olives and place in the meatballs. For the feta sauce, either use dairy-free Greek yoghurt or mix together mayonnaise, lemon juice, olive oil and herbs.
- Serve feta and yoghurt sauce without the herbs if preferred.
- Serve meatballs on flatbread with sweet potato and cucumber slices.
- Skip the herbs and radish.
More Meatball Recipes
You will need an oven, two baking trays.
Cheesy Greek Lamb Meatball Wraps
- 2 Baking trays
- 1 sweet potato large
- Olive oil 2.5 tbsp
- Smoked paprika 2 tsp
- 40 g parmesan
- 2 cloves garlic
- Feta 200 g
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 500 g lamb mince
- ½ cup panko crumbs
- Mint ½ bunch
- Dill ⅓ bunch
- 4 radish
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- Lemon 1
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt
- 4 flatbread pita bread
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 220 C and get out two baking trays.
- Peel sweet potato, slice into wedges and place on a tray. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, and season with 1 teaspoon paprika, salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes.1 sweet potato, Olive oil, Smoked paprika, Salt and pepper
- Finely grate parmesan into a bowl, peel and finely grate garlic, crumble in 50 grams feta, and whisk through egg. Add oregano, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon paprika and salt and pepper.Smoked paprika, 40 g parmesan, 2 cloves garlic, Feta, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, Salt and pepper
- Add lamb mince and panko crumbs and mix to combine, then form golf-ball sized meatballs and place on the baking tray. Place in the oven for 20 mins.500 g lamb mince, ½ cup panko crumbs
- Pick ½ bunch mint leaves. Pick ⅓ bunch dill. Finely chop half the herbs. Finely slice radish. Finely slice cucumber. Slice 1 lemon into wedges.Mint, Dill, 4 radish, 1 Lebanese cucumber, Lemon
- Mix 150 grams feta in a bowl with Greek yoghurt. If children prefer plain, serve their portion of yoghurt on the plate now. Add finely chopped mint and dill, juice of 2 lemon wedges and salt and pepper.Feta, Mint, Dill, Lemon, ½ cup Greek yoghurt, Salt and pepper
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil over flatbreads and season with salt and pepper. Add to the oven for the last 2 minutes of cooking time to warm up.Olive oil, 4 flatbread, Salt and pepper
- Serve flatbread with meatballs, yoghurt feta sauce, sweet potato, radish, cucumber and lemon wedges.4 radish, 1 Lebanese cucumber, Lemon