This Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken is a simple dinner that is full of flavour. Lay a few sage leaves over your chicken breast, then wrap in prosciutto and pop in the oven. The prosciutto will keep the chicken breast really moist and tender while you’re cooking it, and the prosciutto will start to go a little crispy on the outside. Then boil some winter vegetables like beans and carrots, and make a simple butter sage sauce. Once the chicken is cooked, we’ll serve it with the vegetables and sauce. It’s a really easy dinner that’s perfect for these dark, cold winter nights.
What ingredients do you need to make this Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken?
With simplicity at heart, this dinner has just 8 ingredients
- Chicken breast - Make sure you either request small chicken breast fillets (200 g each) or you can slice larger ones in half.
- Sage - We'll lay some sage leaves across the chicken, and the rest will be used in the sauce.
- Prosciutto - we will wrap the chicken in slices of prosciutto. This will mean the chicken stays nice and tender in the oven.
- Winter vegetables - I used carrots and green beans as they are plentiful and in season at the moment, but you can use whichever vegetables you prefer.
- Butter, garlic and white wine - to make the sage butter sauce.
How to keep your Chicken Breast moist in the oven?
There are a few things you can do to keep your chicken breast moist in the oven.
- Bring it to room temperature (or close to) before placing in the oven. This will mean the chicken muscle fibres don't seize when you place them in the hot oven.
- Ensure the prosciutto is well-wrapped around the chicken breast. This will keep moisture in.
- Let the chicken rest a few minutes before slicing or serving.
Top tip when making Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breast
Make sure you place the chicken in the middle rack of your oven. Some ovens use the top grill to heat the oven quickly, and if you place it on the top rack this will make the prosciutto burn in the cooking time advised.
- This recipe is gluten free
- For dairy free, use a butter substitute like Nuttelex.
- Our kid-friendly simplified version has the option to skip the prosciutto for little kids, and the butter sauce.
You will need an oven, a baking tray, 2 saucepans, a stovetop.
More Chicken Breast Recipes
- Baking tray
- 2 Saucepans
- 800 g chicken breasts small (if your chicken breasts are very big slice it in half lengthwise)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ bunch sage
- 120 g prosciutto
- 4 carrots small
- 200 g green beans
- 60 g butter salted
- ⅓ cup white wine
- Take chicken from the fridge. Preheat your oven to 200 C (400 F) fan-forced, and line a baking tray with baking paper.800 g chicken breasts
- Mince garlic and pick sage leaves. Put a saucepan of water on the stove to boil.2 cloves garlic, ½ bunch sage
- Lay 2-3 sage leaves across each chicken breast and wrap in 2-3 slices of prosciutto. Bake for 18-22 mins, depending on the size of your chicken breasts.800 g chicken breasts, 120 g prosciutto
- Peel carrots and slice into half cm slices on the diagonal. Trim green beans.4 carrots, 200 g green beans
- Add carrots to boiling water, and set a timer for 7 mins. Once the timer goes, add beans and cook for one more minute, then drain.4 carrots, 200 g green beans
- Add butter to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Once melted, add garlic and remaining sage, and sauté until crispy. Slowly add white wine and cook for 3-4 mins and reduce, then set off the heat.2 cloves garlic, 60 g butter, ⅓ cup white wine
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from the oven and sit covered for 3-4 mins. Add tray juices to the sauce. Serve chicken with carrots, green beans and sage and butter sauce.