The BEST Thai beef salad of tender marinated beef nestled in a bed of fresh herbs, tomatoes and onions tossed in a citrusy dressing, served on a bed of rice.
This dinner will take you only half an hour to put together, so try it tonight!
This is my Mum's Thai Beef Salad recipe and honestly it is one of the tastiest and most satisfying salads you can make. It's perfect for when you want a dinner that is both fresh, and substantial, and the flavours are just so delicious.
Thai Beef Salad - the secret is in the sauce (or the dressing)
Thai Beef Salad has a unique sweet, salty and citrusy dressing that makes this dinner so very delicious. It's made with simple and easy to find ingredients, but once you make it, you'll want it again and again.
To create the sauce, zest and juice lime. Add sesame oil, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and stir to combine.
What ingredients are in Thai Beef Salad?
- Sauce - 1 long red chilli, 2 cloves garlic, 2 limes, 2 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 tablespoon fish sauce, 2 teaspoon light soy sauce, 2 teaspoon brown sugar. My favourite fish sauce is Squid Brand Fish sauce, which you can pick up on Amazon.
- Steak - 500 g steak
- Salad - ½ bunch mint, ½ bunch Thai basil sub. basil, ½ bunch coriander, 2 Lebanese cucumber, 200 g baby tomatoes, ½ red onion
- Serve with - ¼ cup roast peanuts, 450 g microwave rice
Top tip when making Thai Beef Salad
Only cook your beef for a minute or two each side, max, to keep it lovely and tender. The marinade will also tenderise it, so if you have more time you can marinate it for longer.
- Alternative proteins - Swap steak for chicken breast or firm white fish.
- Vegetarian - Swap steak for future beef or tempeh (fermented tofu that is firmer and more intense than regular tofu). Use vegetarian fish sauce.
- Dairy Free - This recipe is dairy free.
- Gluten Free - This recipe is gluten free.
- Skip the chilli.
- Serve slices of beef with rice, cucumber and tomatoes.
You will need a BBQ or frying pan, a stovetop, a microwave.
More Salad Recipes
Thai Beef Salad
- BBQ or frying pan
- 1 long red chilli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 lime
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 500 g steak
- ½ bunch mint
- ½ bunch Thai basil sub. basil
- ½ bunch coriander
- 2 Lebanese cucumber
- 200 g baby tomatoes
- ½ red onion
- ¼ cup roast peanuts
- 450 g microwave rice
- De-seed and finely chop red chilli. Peel and mince garlic.1 long red chilli, 2 cloves garlic
- Create a sauce by zesting and juicing lime. Add sesame oil, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and stir to combine.2 lime, 2 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 tablespoon fish sauce, 2 teaspoon light soy sauce, 2 teaspoon brown sugar, 2 cloves garlic
- Place steak in a bowl and pour over half of the sauce (reserve the rest for the dressing). Set aside at room temperature.500 g steak
- Pick leaves from the mint and Thai basil. Roughly chop coriander leaves. Add all to a serving bowl.½ bunch mint, ½ bunch Thai basil, ½ bunch coriander
- Slice cucumber down the middle, scoop out centre seeds and slice on the diagonal. Halve baby tomatoes. Add a portion to your child’s plate. Slice red onion finely. Roughly chop peanuts. Add to the serving bowl.2 Lebanese cucumber, 200 g baby tomatoes, ½ red onion, ¼ cup roast peanuts
- Heat a frying pan or BBQ over high heat and cook the steaks for 1-2 minutes each side (depending on thickness and to your taste), then set aside to rest. Heat microwave rice.500 g steak, 450 g microwave rice
- Slice steak into thin strips. Serve kids rice, beef, tomatoes and cucumbers. Pour dressing if they prefer or serve on the side.For adults, add half of the red chilli to the dressing and stir. Serve beef with salad, dressing and rice, and top with more chilli.1 long red chilli