This Sweet potato tortellini recipe is a very low-maintenance dinner for those busy nights when you want to prepare something with very little effort. This five step, seven-ingredient recipe is so simple. There is no need for a pasta maker here, we're going to embrace pre-prepared tortellini and save ourselves!
Italian food is often ingredient-focused, that is, using just a few ingredients and showcasing them through simple yet purposeful preparation, and this recipe does just that. The sweet potatoes are gently roasted and caramelised. The basil is blended into a basil oil and lemon and olive oil brings out that flavour. Use good quality store-bought tortellini - I like to use a cheese based tortellini - for best results.
This is my son's new favourite recipe. To make it, we'll simply roast some diced sweet potato in the oven with garlic and olive oil. Cook good-quality cheese tortellini in boiling water and remove with a slotted spoon. Create a simple basil oil by blitzing basil, olive oil and lemon. Serve it all up by dotting basil oil over the tortellini and shaving over parmesan cheese. You'll have a wonderful and simple dinner on the table in no time.
For another sweet potato pasta recipe, this Spaghetti Carbonara with Sweet Potato is one you have to try.
What you'll need to make this Sweet Potato Tortellini Recipe
As this is a really simple recipe, and it uses a few basic ingredients. If you are going to splurge on anything, buy the best quality tortellini you can find. This will make the difference. I used Rana Spinach and Ricotta tortellini.
- 2 Sweet potatoes
- ½ bunch Basil
- 600 g Cheese-based fresh Tortellini.
- 40 g Parmesan cheese (block)
- 4 cloves Garlic - this is optional, it does give quite a strong flavour, so I'd consider skipping it for younger kids.
- ⅓ cup Olive oil
- ½ Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Variations and Add-ons
- If you follow a gluten free diet, you can find good quality prepared gluten free tortellini at your supermarket. If you are dairy free, then use mushroom or meat based tortellini instead.
- For some additional veggies you can add a bag baby spinach to the pasta.
- If you want you can create a creamy sauce using a little cream and cooking it with browned butter.
- If you want to add meat, crumbled Italian sausage is a perfect add in.
- If you want to add bulk, add white button mushrooms or sliced portobello mushroom to the sweet potato cubes.
How to prepare this Sweet Potato Tortellini Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into cubes.
- Line a baking tray (sheet pan) with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Place the sweet potato cubes on the lined baking tray.
- Peel the garlic cloves and add them to the tray with the sweet potatoes.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the sweet potatoes and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss everything on the tray to ensure even coating of oil and seasoning.
- Place the baking tray in the preheated oven and roast for about 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender, golden brown and slightly caramelized.
Cooking the Tortellini
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, place a large pot of salted water on high heat and bring it to a boil.
- Add a pinch of salt to the boiling water.
- Once the water is boiling, carefully add the cheese-based tortellini to the pot.
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions, usually for about 3-4 minutes, until they float to the surface and are al dente.
- Once cooked, drain the tortellini and set them aside.
Make the Basil Oil
- While the tortellini cooks, pick the basil leaves from the bunch, reserving a few for garnish.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the majority of the basil leaves, olive oil, lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and black pepper.
- Blitz the ingredients until you have a smooth and vibrant basil oil.
Assembling the Pasta
- Take a flat plate or platter for serving.
- Arrange the cooked cheese tortellini on the serving plate.
- Place the roasted sweet potato cubes alongside the tortellini.
- Using a potato peeler, shave thin slices of Parmesan cheese from the block and scatter them over the tortellini and sweet potatoes.
- Drizzle the prepared basil oil generously over the dish, letting it cascade over the tortellini and sweet potatoes.
- Garnish with the reserved basil leaves for a fresh and aromatic touch.
Your Sweet Potato and Cheese Tortellini with Basil Oil is now ready to be enjoyed! The combination of creamy tortellini, roasted sweet potatoes, and the vibrant flavors of basil oil will create a delightful dinner the whole family will enjoy. Serve it as a main dish or a unique side option at your next meal.
The sweet potato is really yummy just as it is, and doesn't really need the garlic. It is really quite a strong flavour so if you are not a fan of garlic, just leave it out, it's up to your personal preference.
Kid-Friendly Variations for Sweet Potato Tortellini
- To make this simple for kids, you can serve them their sweet potato, basil oil and pasta separately.
- Option to add frozen peas or frozen corn.
- If your child doesn't like basil oil, you can melt butter over the ravioli and sweet potato instead.
You will need an oven, a baking tray, a pot, a stovetop.
More Pasta Recipes
This Salmon Pasta Alfredo is a creamy and simple salmon pasta dish with lovely dill.
Kids and parents alike will love this Four Cheese Corn Pasta - it's like deluxe mac and cheese with corn.
This Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is another deliciously simple tortellini recipe - in a creamy and rich tomato soup, topped with prosciutto.
- Baking tray
- 2 sweet potato
- 4 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil ⅓ cup total for the recipe
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ bunch basil
- ¼ cup olive oil ⅓ cup total for the recipe
- ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 600 g cheese-based tortellini
- 40 g parmesan block
- Preheat your oven to 200 C (400 F). Peel and cube sweet potato. Add to a lined baking tray with olive oil and minced garlic (opt. as very strong). Season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 20 mins.2 sweet potato, 4 clove garlic, 2 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- Place a pot of salted water on to boil.1 tablespoon salt
- Pick basil leaves. Reserve a few for garnish then add the rest to a blender with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Blitz until smooth.½ bunch basil, ¼ cup olive oil, ½ lemon, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- Cook tortellini according to packet instructions, usually about 3-4 mins in boiling water, then drain.600 g cheese-based tortellini
- Serve tortellini on a flat plate or platter with roast sweet potato. Shave parmesan using a potato peeler and spoon over basil oil. Kids may prefer elements served separately.40 g parmesan