These Tray Bake Mushroom Tacos are filled with juicy mushrooms drizzled in tangy buffalo sauce, covered in cheese, and finished in the oven.
You’ll love this big tray of vegetarian mushroom tacos. We’re making them with homemade buffalo sauce - this is next level delicious - a tangy, limey slaw, and covering them with cheese before putting them in the oven.
Why you’ll love these Mushroom Tacos
You’ll love these because they are
- They’re substantial - While vegetarian, they are really filling.
- Buffalo sauce - The only way to get really good buffalo sauce in Australia is to make it yourself, and this is what we’re doing. You can use hot sauce (like sriracha) or tomato sauce, butter, paprika, garlic powder and vinegar. It’s tangy, buttery and so full of flavour. We pour it over the mushrooms as they are cooking to.
- Really limey, honey slaw - Crispy and crunchy, this is gooooood slaw.
- Avocado cream - Dollop on top of your tacos.
- Melted cheese - I mean, need I say more? Fill the soft tacos, layer them on a tray and then cover them with cheese to get crispy tacos, golden melted cheese, and a wonderful, WONDERFUL dinner. There’s nothing more satisfying than pulling the tacos apart and pulling cheese with them.
Top tip when making Mushroom Tacos
Lay filled tacos on their side, and the weight of the other tacos will keep them closed. For the last taco, that doesn’t have any weight on it, I placed a stainless steel butter knife in the pan and it weighed it down while cooking. Be careful when you remove it.
- Alternative proteins - Swap mushrooms for jackfruit, or cauliflower.
- Vegetarian - This recipe is vegetarian.
- Dairy Free - Use dairy free butter (nuttelex) and dairy free shredded parmesan. Skip the Greek yoghurt in the avocado cream.
- Gluten Free - Use corn soft tacos.
- Option to serve your child plain soft tacos, mushroom slices, corn, capsicum and avocado slices.
Equipment to make Mushroom Tacos
You will need an oven, a baking tray, a frying pan, a stovetop, a blender.
More Mexican Inspired Recipes
Tray Bake Mushroom Tacos with Buffalo Sauce and Slaw
- Baking tray
- Frying pan
- 375 g portobello mushrooms
- 2 sprays olive oil spray
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper 1 teaspoon total for the recipe
- 50 g butter salted
- ½ cup hot sauce sub tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ red cabbage
- 1 yellow capsicum
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen
- 1 lime 2 pcs total for the recipe
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper 1 teaspoon total for the recipe
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime 2 pcs total for the recipe
- ¼ cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 pinch salt and pepper 1 teaspoon total for the recipe
- 10 mini soft tacos
- 125 g cheddar and mozzarella grated cheese mix
- Preheat your oven to 200 C (400 F). Line a tray with baking paper. Wipe portobello mushrooms clean and place them cap side up on the tray. Spray with oil, season with salt and add to the oven for 8 mins.375 g portobello mushrooms, 2 sprays olive oil spray, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- To make buffalo sauce, heat butter in a small frying pan, then add hot sauce (sub. tomato sauce), paprika, garlic powder, white wine vinegar and salt. Cook for 2 minutes or until combined.50 g butter, ½ cup hot sauce, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Take mushrooms from the oven, turn so their stems point up and drizzle over buffalo sauce. Return to the oven for 10 mins.
- Finely slice cabbage, chop capsicum and defrost corn. Add corn and capsicum to your child’s plate now. Add the rest to a large bowl. Squeeze over lime juice, drizzle over honey, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, and toss through.¼ red cabbage, 1 yellow capsicum, 1 cup corn kernels, 1 lime, 2 teaspoon honey, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoon white wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- Option to reserve slices of plain avocado for your child now, then blend the rest of the avocado flesh with lime juice, Greek yoghurt, garlic, salt and pepper.1 avocado, 1 lime, ¼ cup Greek yoghurt, 1 clove garlic, 2 pinch salt and pepper
- Remove mushrooms from the tray and slice them on a board. Keep the baking paper on the tray and the oven on. Set some sliced mushrooms aside for your child’s plate now.
- Option to set aside a plain soft taco for your child. Fill remaining tacos with mushrooms and slaw, then lay in the baking tray and sprinkle over cheese. Place in the oven for 7 mins, or until the cheese is golden.10 mini soft tacos, 125 g cheddar and mozzarella grated cheese mix
- Option to serve your child plain corn, capsicum, avocado, tortilla and mushroom slices. Or, serve them the same as the adults, tacos with avocado cream and extra slaw on the side.