These low maintenance, five step Shish Kebabs are a juicy, low-marinating, no-BBQ version that are perfect for your weeknight dinner.
I’m calling these my low-maintenance shish kebabs because you don’t need a BBQ = less mess! AND you don’t have to spend hours marinating them (although they will only improve if you do).
So, how’s this all work?
Shish Kebab Marinade
These shish kebabs are made with a low maintenance “cheat’s” marinade. We’re combining sauces and spices you may not typically combine, but they make a delicious marinade that is quick and easy to prepare.
Simply mix teriyaki sauce (sweet), red wine vinegar (sour), paprika, cinnamon, nutmeg and garlic powder (warming).
Add your beef into the marinade while you are preparing the vegetables. Because it is quite liquidy it will seep into your beef, and the vinegar also helps tenderise the beef. If you do have more time up your sleeve, you can always marinate for longer.
Can you cook shish kebabs in the oven?
Shish kebabs are usually cooked on a BBQ / grill, because they give an intense, hot heat to sear the beef. However sometimes your BBQ is out of gas, or it’s dirty and you just don’t feel like cleaning. Or it’s cold and you don’t want to go outside. Whatever the reason, if BBQing isn’t for you, you can use the grill / broil function in your oven. Crank it up high, and you want a quick, hot cook, so you really only need 2 mins on one side, turn, and then 1 minute on the other side.
What cut of meat is used for shish kebabs?
Hot and Fast = Tender meat
We’re using beef in this recipe, and I’ve called for eye fillet which is a tender cut of meat. You need it to be tender to cook it this way, especially with a low marinating time.
Kebabs can also be made with lamb, and you can use diced lamb if you like.
What vegetables do you use for shish kebabs?
In this recipe we are going to use capsicums (peppers), mushrooms and red onion. I like to use different coloured capsicums and have chosen red and green in this case, but you can also use any other colour you like. It’s nice to have a variety of colours on the plate. You’ll need about 3 capsicums for 4 people.
How do you cut an onion for skewers?
- To cut your red onion you want to first of all cut it in half lengthwise through the root.
- Peel back the other layers, and cut off the root base. Then cut the top off too.
- You should now have half an onion, cut this in half again so you have quarters.
- Cut this in half around the widest part so you have eighths.
- Separate the layers of the onion, and thread just one layer at a time.
How do you grill shish kebabs without burning skewers?
Soak your skewers in water first so they don’t catch fire while you are cooking them, although you will see that they will certainly char a little.
I prefer wooden skewers over metal skewers because metal skewers can heat up and overcook the meat.
Hang on, what is the difference between a kebab and a shish kebab?
A regular kebab is generally shaved meat served with salad, dips and wrapped in flatbread.
A shish kebab is cubed meat, threaded on a skewer with vegetables, and once you know that the word “Shish” means skewer in Arabic, that becomes a whole lot clearer.
Bonus - make your own flatbread
I made this flatbread in 17 mins flat (including washing up), and fresh flatbread is going to beat store-bought any day of the week. So if you’re feeling adventurous and want to make your own, try this. Details are for 4 serves.
- Mix 1 cup self-raising flour with ½ cup Greek yoghurt and a pinch of salt.
- Knead until it forms a dough.
- Divide into 4 portions.
- Roll out into circles, as thin as you can get them. You may need to flour the board.
- Heat a pan on medium high heat, spray with olive oil, and place a circle of dough on your pan. Cook for 2 mins on one side (or until puffs up), and 1 min on the other side. Repeat.
Top tip for Shish Kebabs
Slice mushrooms into ½ cm slices. When you thread these onto your skewers you will have to be careful they don’t split - go slowly at first.
- Alternative proteins - Swap beef for lamb or chicken. Cook chicken for longer.
- Vegetarian - Swap beef for halloumi or tofu.
- Dairy Free - Skip Greek yoghurt or swap for garlic dip.
- Gluten Free - Use gluten free flatbread (or make your own), and use gluten free teriyaki sauce like this one or make your own like this recipe.
- Option to serve capsicum slices raw.
- Remove beef from skewer.
- Slice flatbread.
- Serve dips on the side.
You will need a grill or oven, a baking tray, 12 skewers (wooden preferred).
More Middle Eastern Recipes
Low-Maintenance Shish Kebabs
- Grill or oven
- Baking tray
- 12 Skewers (wooden pref.)
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 500 g eye fillet steak
- 1 red onion
- 200 g mushrooms
- 1 red capsicum red pepper
- 1 green capsicum green pepper
- 2 sprays olive oil spray
- 4 flatbread
- ¼ cup Greek yoghurt
- ¼ cup hummus
- Preheat your grill (broiler) to high. Get out a tray, place 12 skewers on the tray and cover in water. This will stop them from burning.
- Create a marinade by mixing teriyaki sauce, red wine vinegar, paprika, cinnamon, nutmeg and garlic powder. Cut steak into 2 cm cubes and cover in the marinade. Set aside.¼ cup teriyaki sauce, 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon nutmeg, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 500 g eye fillet steak
- Quarter onion. Slice off root and top, then slice in half through the widest part. Slice mushrooms. Cut capsicum into 2 cm squares.If your child prefers raw capsicum, place it on their plate now.1 red onion, 200 g mushrooms, 1 green capsicum, 1 red capsicum
- Drain water from the tray and line it with foil. Thread vegetables and beef onto skewers (3 cubes beef / skewer). Place skewers on a tray and spray with oil. Put under the grill (broiler) for 2 mins, turn, then 1 min (or to your liking).500 g eye fillet steak, 1 red onion, 200 g mushrooms, 1 red capsicum, 1 green capsicum, 2 sprays olive oil spray
- To serve, lay out flatbread, dollop with Greek yoghurt and hummus, top with shish kebabs.For little ones - option to cut up flatbread, unthread shish kebabs and serve hummus and yoghurt on the side.4 flatbread, ¼ cup Greek yoghurt, ¼ cup hummus