Are you searching for a comforting and easy-to-make pasta dish that will delight even the pickiest eaters at your dinner table? This is an Easy Tomato Soup with Pasta recipe that combines the richness of tomato soup with the heartiness of pasta. Packed with vegetables and flavour, this pasta dish is sure to become a family favourite.
When I was a kid my absolute favourite comfort food was Heinz spaghetti in a can. I LOVED the Sunday nights when it was pulled out, quite possibly as a last resort for my parents, but for me, it was heaven. Simple recipes are often the best, and this fresh version has all the comfort of that family favourite but is packed with flavour and nutrients. The simplicity of this recipe is key - I made it when one Sunday night when all I could find in our bare cupboards were a few lone carrots, a sweet potato ad some crushed tomatoes, but it was a wonderful surprise.
Ingredients you'll need to make this Easy Tomato Soup Pasta recipe
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (or Nutellex, for a vegan version)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 400 g canned tomatoes (diced or crushed)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (or shredded dairy-free parmesan cheese for a vegan option)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Thin spaghetti (or your favourite pasta) - you can also use leftover pasta, it doesn't have to be cooked fresh.
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
See the detailed amounts in the printable recipe card. You can also adjust servings on the recipe card.
- To make this recipe Dairy free, use dairy free shredded parmesan and Nutellex instead of butter.
- To make this recipe Gluten-free, use gluten-free spaghetti (or your favourite pasta).
Optional Add-ins to Tomato Soup Pasta
- You can add chopped onions with the vegetables to give a deeper flavour to the tomato soup.
- Add dried basil or Italian seasoning to the soup base.
- Add a teaspoon of brown sugar to the soup base for a slightly sweeter flavour.
- To give this recipe some heat, use Cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes, and adjust to your own taste.
- You can use fresh tomatoes instead of canned if you have them, but I find canned tomatoes give a more intense flavour.
- A squeeze of tomato sauce or ketchup can be added to give a sour and sweet kick.
- This soup is already creamy from the butter, but you can add heavy cream to transform this recipe into an even creamier version.
- If you have it, you can fry prosciutto or bacon and add it to the top later.
- You can add white beans to the tomato soup recipe, to make it even more substantial.
- To garnish, you can add fresh basil if you like.
Instructions to make this Tomato Pasta Soup
1. Prepare the Vegetables - Peel and chop the carrots and sweet potato into large chunks. Mince the garlic.
2. Sauté the Vegetables - In a large deep pan or dutch oven, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the chopped vegetables, minced garlic, and tomato paste. Mix everything together to coat the vegetables evenly.
3. Cook the Pasta - In a separate large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until it reaches an al dente texture, following the package directions.
4. Create the Homemade Tomato Soup Base - To the pan with sautéed vegetables, add chicken or vegetable stock, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, diced tomatoes, and grated Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it simmer for approximately 10 minutes, or until the carrots are soft. Skim off any scum that appears at the top of the soup.
5. Blend the Soup - Once the carrots are soft, use an immersion blender or transfer the mixture to a blender to puree it into a creamy tomato soup. Return the blended soup to the pan.
6. Add the Pasta - Using tongs, transfer the cooked pasta to the soupy pan, mixing it through to combine with the creamy tomato base.
7. Serve - Ladle the Tomato Soup Pasta into serving bowls. Top each serving with shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Do not add the pasta to the water until you’ve started the soup base, so that you have time for the soup base to cook before the pasta does.
- Cook the pasta al dente before adding it to the soup so that it doesn't become mushy in the soup.
- This recipe will suit picky eaters just as it is. You can also chop spaghetti into smaller pieces if preferred.
This Creamy Tomato Soup Pasta can be enjoyed as a standalone meal or served with a side salad, garlic bread (like in this minestrone soup recipe), or a grilled cheese sandwich for a more filling experience.
If you happen to have any leftovers (which is unlikely because it's so delicious!), you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Simply reheat the soup on low heat for a quick and easy weeknight meal that's just as tasty the second time. If you want, you can freeze it, but it's best to freeze the tomato soup by itself and add fresh cooked pasta later.
You will need a large deep pan, a stovetop, a pot, a blender or stick blender.
Other Soup recipes you might enjoy
Another version of this Tomato Pasta soup is this Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup - it's so rich and delicious. If you want something spicier, this Fish Laksa is a soup with deep Asian flavours. For a healthy and hearty chicken soup, try this Chicken and Corn Egg Drop Soup.
- Large deep pan
- Blender or stick blender
- 2 carrot
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter salted
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 375 g thin spaghetti angel hair spaghetti
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 400 g diced tomatoes canned
- 60 g parmesan (block) 80 g total for the recipe
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 20 g parmesan (block) 80 g total for the recipe
- Peel and chop carrots and sweet potato into large chunks. Mince garlic.2 carrot, 1 sweet potato, 2 clove garlic
- Add oil and butter to a large deep pan on high heat. Add vegetables, garlic and tomato paste and mix.2 carrot, 1 sweet potato, 2 clove garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- Place a pot of salted water on high heat to boil. When boiling, break spaghetti in half and cook until al dente.1 teaspoon salt, 375 g thin spaghetti
- Add chicken stock, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, diced tomatoes and parmesan cheese, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 mins or until carrot is soft.¼ cup chicken stock, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon dried oregano, 400 g diced tomatoes, 60 g parmesan (block), 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Once carrot is soft, add to a blender (or use a stick blender) to blend into a soup, then return to the pan.
- Use tongs to add cooked pasta to the soupy pan, mix through, then top with finely grated parmesan. Simple and delicious.20 g parmesan (block)