Cinnamon Pork with caramelized apple and cauliflower crumble is a hearty and delicious winter dinner. This is one recipe that I always get asked for, and I'm happy to say it's finally back in the app.
You may have seen other pork and apple recipes, but this one takes this flavor combination to a new level with an Asian twist. We add sesame oil and dark soy so the pork loin marinade is super sweet, sticky and a little salty. While that is marinating we slice up apple and cauliflower and toss in cinnamon, panko breadcrumbs, olive oil, salt, sultanas, and pecans. The panko breadcrumbs make a sort of crumble topping, which is a delicious way to bake vegetables, resulting in caramelized apples and cauliflower. Once cooked, we toss through some parboiled greens, parsley and top with a tahini honey dressing.
This is one of those warming meals you can make on a weeknight and the whole family will enjoy, or it's also great for a dinner party, because it looks beautiful and is one your friends will love.
What do I need to make Cinnamon Apple Pork?
- Pork loin steaks - you should be able to buy these at the supermarket, steaks sliced into 1-2 cm thickness. 400 g is about 8-10 steaks, so you can serve 2 per person. You could also use pork tenderloin, sliced, or bone-in pork chops or boneless pork chops.
- Marinade - mix dark soy sauce, brown sugar, cinnamon, finely grated garlic and sesame oil.
- Apple - I prefer red apples, but you can use granny smith or any kind of apples you like. Cut apple into cubes (not apple slices) so it is a similar texture to the cauliflower.
- Cauliflower - use a whole cauliflower for four, and chop into 1-2 cm pieces. No need to cut it into florets.
- Crumble - mix through olive oil, sultanas, panko breadcrumbs, cinnamon and brown sugar mixture.
- Greens - green beans and parsley.
- Tahini dressing - apple cider vinegar, tahini, honey, salt, olive oil and water.
How do I make Cinnamon Apple Pork?
First, in a small bowl mix together the marinade ingredients. Add the pork, mix to cover and set aside.
Then chop the apples and cauliflower and toss with the crumble ingredients. You can either add these to a baking dish, or bake directly on a baking tray in a preheated oven.
Prepare your beans and parsley. Use a sharp knife to chop the parsley nice and finely.
In a large skillet on medium-high heat, cook the pork for 2-3 minutes each side, or 4-5 minutes total cooking time. Give it a good sear, and the smell and flavors of brown sugar and cinnamon will fill your kitchen.
Mix the tahini dressing ingredients together.
Once the crumble is cooked, mix through the parboiled green beans and top with parsley and tahini dressing.
Serve pork steaks in a dish with the cinnamon apple mixture on the side.
What type of Apples do I need for Apple Cinnamon Pork?
I used red apples, but you can really use any type of apple in this recipe. Tart apples like granny smiths will give you that nice tart flavor that contrasts with the sweetness of the cinnamon, but I enjoy the extra sweetness of red apples.
Top tip when making Apple Cinnamon Pork
Make sure you wait until the frying pan or skillet is a really hot skillet before you add the pork. This is the best way to cook it because you get a good sear on the sides of the pork. As it is a lean cut it cooks so quickly you only need a few minutes on either side.
- This recipe is dairy free.
- To make it gluten-free, use gluten-free panko breadcrumbs.
- This is a delicious dinner all together, but if you wanted a meat-free version you could make the apple and cauliflower crumble as a side dish.
- Instead of olive oil, you could use melted butter through the crumble, it would be next level! Or you could use vegetable oil.
- You could add fresh rosemary, sweet potatoes or red onion to the crumble bake mixture.
- You could add a teaspoon ground nutmeg to the pork marinade mixture.
- When serving kids, slice the pork into fingers, and serve beans and vegetables separately. Skip the tahini dressing and the parsley.
You will need an oven, a roasting dish, a pot, a stovetop, a frying pan or bbq.
More Easy Recipes with Pork Loin Steaks
- Roasting dish
- Frying pan or BBQ
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon 2 teaspoon total for the recipe
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 pork steaks
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 apple red
- 2 tablespoon sultanas
- ⅓ cup pecans
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon 2 teaspoon total for the recipe
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 200 g green beans
- ½ bunch parsley
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar sub. white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat your oven to 220 C (425 F) and line a roasting dish.
- In a medium bowl mix cinnamon, brown sugar, dark soy and sesame oil. Mince garlic and add to the bowl. Add pork steaks, cover in the marinade and set aside.1 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 teaspoon brown sugar, 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 cloves garlic, 4 pork steaks
- Cut cauliflower into florets and cube apple. Add to a roasting dish with sultanas and pecans. Drizzle olive oil. Sprinkle over breadcrumbs, brown sugar, cinnamon, season with salt and pepper and toss. Bake for 20 mins.1 cauliflower, 1 apple, 2 tablespoon sultanas, ⅓ cup pecans, 2 tablespoon olive oil, ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- Place a pot of water on to boil and trim green beans. Rinse and finely chop parsley.200 g green beans, ½ bunch parsley
- Make a dressing by mixing together vinegar and tahini, then mix in honey, salt, olive oil and water.1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoon tahini, 1 tablespoon honey, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon water
- Place beans in the boiling water and cook for 1-2 mins until bright green, then drain.200 g green beans
- Put a frying pan or bbq on high and brown pork for 3-4 mins each side or until cooked, depending on thickness. Remove from the pan and set aside to rest before serving.4 pork steaks
- Add cooked green beans and half the parsley to the vegetables, mix, then drizzle over the tahini dressing.
- Serve pork steaks with roast vegetables and remaining parsley. Make sure you get all the good bits from the bottom of the roasting tray when dishing up.