This Corn Bread Chilli is a dinner the whole family will enjoy. Gooey melted cheese with corn on top of a hearty beef mince chilli.
We make a mild beef mince chilli, then top with “corn bread” made from polenta, corn kernels and cheese. Grill (broil) for a few minutes until cheese is melted and golden and serve with a dollop of Greek Yoghurt and sliced green onions.
What Ingredients do you need to make Corn Bread Chilli?
Beef Chilli base - Brown onion, red kidney beans, olive oil, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, chilli powder (opt.), beef mince, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato sauce.
"Corn bread" topping - Milk, polenta, chicken stock, corn kernels, parmesan cheese.
To serve - Greek yoghurt (optional) and green onions.
Top tip when making Corn Bread Chilli
When you make this corn bread chilli make sure you use an oven-proof casserole dish or saute pan, so you can move it easily from the stovetop to the oven.
- Dairy-free: Swap parmesan for dairy free shredded parmesan, and use your favourite variety of dairy-free milk, or use water. I prefer oat milk in this recipe as it has a similar sweetness profile as regular milk.
- This recipe is gluten-free.
You will need an oven grill, a kettle, an oven-proof deep casserole dish, a stovetop, a saucepan.
More Tex Mex style Recipes
- Oven grill
- Ovenproof deep casserole dish
- 2 cups water
- 1 brown onion
- ¼ bunch green onion
- 400 g red kidney beans canned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1.5 teaspoon total for the recipe
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder opt.
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper ¾ teaspoon total for the recipe
- 500 g beef mince
- 400 g diced tomatoes canned
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon 1.5 teaspoon total for the recipe
- ¾ cup polenta
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper ¾ teaspoon total for the recipe
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen
- 100 g parmesan
- ¼ cup Greek yoghurt
- Preheat your oven grill and put a kettle of water on to boil.2 cups water
- Peel and dice brown onion. Trim and finely slice green onions. Drain kidney beans.¼ bunch green onion, 400 g red kidney beans, 1 brown onion
- Place an oven-proof deep casserole dish on medium heat, add oil, onion, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, chilli powder (opt.), and salt and pepper (opt.). Cook, stirring for 2 mins, or until onion is translucent.1 brown onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 teaspoon cumin, 2 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon chilli powder, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- Increase heat and add beef mince and cook, breaking up beef, until it has browned.500 g beef mince
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce (a little squeeze gives it something extra), chicken stock and kidney beans, and stir through. Turn the heat down to low and simmer, lid off, while you do the next step.400 g diced tomatoes, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, 1 tablespoon tomato sauce, ½ cup chicken stock, 400 g red kidney beans
- Place a medium saucepan over low-medium heat. Add boiled water from the kettle, milk, cinnamon and polenta and cook, stirring, until the polenta thickens. Season with salt and pepper.2 cups water, ½ cup milk, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¾ cup polenta, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- Turn the heat off the beans and the polenta. Add corn kernels to the polenta and mix through.1 cup corn kernels
- Spoon polenta corn mix over the chilli beans, then grate over parmesan cheese.100 g parmesan
- Place under the grill for 5-6 mins, then dish out portions and top with dollops of Greek yoghurt and green onions for garnish.¼ cup Greek yoghurt, ¼ bunch green onion